Egypt: A Pastor Details How He Was Tortured for Christ, Used Jet Ski to Escape

The Rev. Majed El Shafie was given the offer of a lifetime during his torturous imprisonment in Egypt as the ex-Muslim leader of a successful and rapidly growing underground church movement.

Shafie, who was held in the torture chambers of Cairo's Abu Zabal Prison for seven days in 1998 as the leader of a 24,000-member Christian organization, was told by a guard after days of beatings that he would be free to go and given any car, house and pretty girl of his dreams if he would just give up the names of his brothers and sisters in Christ.

The offer was tempting but not one that Shafie was going to take. After fooling the guard into thinking that he was going to tell him the names of his friends in exchange for a good meal of shish kebab, the only name that Shafie uttered was that of the organization's true leader — Jesus Christ.

What followed was another brutal attack by the guard and three more days of

torture and imprisonment before Shafie was finally sent to a police hospital for three months of recovery. Shafie would be sentenced to death on three charges that were supposed to shut him and his faith up for good.But thanks to the help of rented watercraft, Shafie escaped to Israel and was later given asylum in Canada, where he went on to create a human rights nonprofit that has helped countless persecuted believers from multiple faiths around the world over the last 15 years

Last week, Shafie was one of many persecuted believers who attended the U.S. State Department Ministerial to Advance Religious Freedom. The Christian Post caught up with the founder of One Free World International who detailed his firsthand suffering in Egypt and his harrowing escape through the Gulf of Aqaba.

Coming from a prominent family of Muslim lawyers, Shafie said he was 18 when he accepted Christ as his Lord and Savior in 1996.

He didn't waste time in following the Great Commission and launched an organization that advocated for equal rights for religious minorities in Egypt. It grew to over 24,000 people in just two years.

It was on Aug. 15, 1998, when he was arrested from his office.

To continue reading follow the link below: